Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Greek Night!

I think the most shocking thing about this summer is how incredibly busy I have become. With the move, vacation, and just general stuff to do I havent had much time to blog OR cook. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining - I love being busy. But I do feel like I've been slacking on my blog, to which I apologize for.

This past weekend, My husband and I took a wonderful trip to Paris and Amsterdam. Can I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Paris?! The food! The Wine! The sights! Ah, it was wonderful. I am so glad that we went. But with the amazing, RICH, food - I  knew I had to cook in a lot this week to make up for the giant calorie consumption we just had. So last night, I decided to make Chicken Gyros and a Greek Salad.

SO GOOD.


So here is the recipe. I really hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I did!

Grilled Chicken Gyros 
Credit: Tablespoon.com

Ingredients

1
teaspoon garlic, minced
3
tablespoons lemon juice
2
teaspoons white wine vinegar
2
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2
tablespoons 0% plain Greek yogurt
Salt
and pepper to taste
1
pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
1
cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
1
medium cucumber, peeled
1
teaspoon garlic, minced
1
teaspoon white wine vinegar
Salt
and pepper
Squeeze
of lemon

Directions

  • Chicken Marinade: in a medium bowl, combine garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together until mixed well.
  • Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  • Tzatziki Sauce: using a micro-plane, grate cucumber into several paper towels. Squeeze remaining liquid from shredded cucumber.
Combine drained cucumber, yogurt, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. I recommend an hour.
  • Grill chicken over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side.
  • Once chicken is cooked, assemble gyros using warm flat bread, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and Tzatziki sauce. Serve immediately.  
 
   
Credit: Greek.Food.Com


Ingredients:

Servings:
6

Dressing

Salad

  • 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces ((I use Romaine)
  • 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped (the long, thin, almost seedless ones)
  • 1 medium red onion, cut into thin rings and soaked for 10 minutes in a small bowl of ice water to make it less sharp
  • 1 small green pepper, cut into thin rings
  • 3/4 cup kalamata olive
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese 
 

Directions:

  1. 1
    Whisk dressing ingredients together until blended.
  2. 2
    Season to taste.
  3. 3
    Drain onion from ice water and pat dry with paper towels.
  4. 4
    Combine all salad ingredients, except cheese, in large bowl.
  5. 5
    Toss with dressing.
  6. 6
    Sprinkle cheese over and serve.
 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I often make a Greek/Turkish salad at home. Should try the chicken marinade sometime, but serve with lettuce leaves instead of the pita now! :-)

    ReplyDelete